I need to use a step bit with a 1/2" shank. I only have drills with 3/8" chucks. Is the arbor size on most drills a standard which would enable me to just replace one of the 3/8" chucks with a 1/2" chuck? Is it really that simple?

You are watching: 3/8 to 1/2 chuck adapter


You"re looking for Jacobs part number 31037, it"s a keyless 1/2" chuck for standard 3/8" drills designed specifically for the purpose of converting them. Your 3/8 drill will be fine with a 1/2" chuck, I"ve got a few than have been converted, 2 air powered, 1 corded/electric and 2 cordless. Just treat the drill as you normally would, drilling holes larger than 3/8" with a 3/8" drill has never been a problem.

I converted my first cordless drill for the same reason, needed to use an Irwin Unibit with the large shank.


Ok, I"ve done some research and it looks like a 1/2" chuck can be used on a 3/8" drill if the chuck is threaded 3/8"x24M. I was able to find a Jacobs MultiCraft (#30598) that should fit my mid-90s Makita.


Thanks for contributing an answer to Home Improvement Stack Exchange!

Please be sure to answer the question. Provide details and share your research!

But avoid

Asking for help, clarification, or responding to other answers.Making statements based on opinion; back them up with references or personal experience.

To learn more, see our tips on writing great answers.

Post Your Answer Discard

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged drill or ask your own question.


site design / logo © 2021 Stack Exchange Inc; user contributions licensed under cc by-sa. rev2021.9.10.40187

See more: Blog: Catholic Rosary Beads Meaning Of Colors Of Faith Rosary

Home Improvement Stack Exchange works best with JavaScript enabled

Your privacy

By clicking “Accept all cookies”, you agree Stack Exchange can store cookies on your device and disclose information in accordance with our Cookie Policy.